Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Meat Stock-Up Prices

When the Kroger ad comes out, the first things on the front are usually the meat deals, right? The meat is the most expensive part of the meal...and my husband won't let us have more than one meal every other week without it. But if you're not much of a meat shopper, or you haven't really paid attention to the prices you normally pay, it's hard to know what's a good price per pound for each type of meat. Looking it up online can be tricky, because meat prices vary by area.

So I thought it might be helpful to you (although I'm pretty sure only 3 or 4 people actually read this...oh well.) for me to list the price per pound at which I stock up my freezer in Baytown, TX.



Chicken legs and thighs: We eat a lot of these, barbecued, fried, baked in cream of mushroom soup. They are regularly $0.99/lb, so anything under that is good. And often they can be found on manager's special. A few days ago I bought about 10lbs for $0.83/lb. I was putting it in the freezer anyway, so who cares if the date is tomorrow?

Chicken breast: Under $2/lb

Whole chickens: Under $1/lb. Sometimes you can get them for $0.79/lb, which makes the whole chicken cost under $4. And they keep for a year in the freezer, so buy a couple!

Ground turkey: Under $2/lb is awesome. I frequently see 2lbs for $5 at Kroger, which is the typical price, about $2.50/lb.

Whole turkeys: These will keep for a year frozen. Right after Christmas is the best time to buy, when the stores are getting rid of them to make space for other things. $0.88/lb is my stock up price, but there are often one-day sales that will make them less.

Ground beef: $1.99/lb is typical, so anything under that is time to stock up.

Beef Pot Roast: $2.49/lb, but I've seen it a few times for $2.29/lb at Food Town

Bone In Pork Chops: Under $2/lb

Pork roast: Under $1.50/lb

Pork spare ribs: Under $2/lb

Pork tenderloin: Under $2/lb

Fish: I wait for manager's specials on this stuff. Grocery stores charge way too much.

Hope that helps!

Love and kisses,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't do too well knowing what the average deals are with meat. In fact, if my brother's along that's his thing. Whole chickens, I love. Cook them in the oven for as long as you want (just remember water) and they're awesome for chicken salad, stir fry. And don't be afraid to dig through the fish packages. I've gotten great deals on catfish, especially, that way. The two on top may be 5.99 a pound, and the next two down can be around 2.99 a pound.

    ReplyDelete