Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bonjour Jolie: July 2013 Review

This was a really fun review. Now, I know most of my readers are a lot like me in a lot of ways. Most of you have kids, most of you are crazy busy, and most of you are on a tight budget.

It's easy for things to get left off the list. Who among us hasn't come home from the grocery store, opened the refrigerator and said, "Shoot! I forgot the butter." Or opened the bathroom cabinet and said, "Shoot! I forgot to  buy tampons!" It's OK. It happens to all of us.

Usually for us moms of little people, that time of the month is cloaked in bad attitudes, grouchiness, and every little thing just annoys you! Well, what if a discreetly disguised box appeared for you, right on time every month, with all the supplies you need and some extras to get you through to the other side?

Bonjour Jolie IS exactly that. They send you tampons and/or pads (your choice of brand and absorbency) enough to get you through this month. They send you some bath and body products, different from what you normally buy (we all get in a rut) so it feels special. They send a sweet treat and some tea. They send you a few Advil to get you through in travel packets so you will have them whenever and wherever you need them. And they send you a beautiful, luxurious gift, just for you, to make you feel special.

It comes in a regular brown box. Plain white priority label. It doesn't scream, "Special Tampon Delivery!" It just says, "Boring Postal Mail." Very discreet.

When you open it, you are greeted with the Bonjour Jolie logo. It says, "Hello, beautiful." Which immediately made me feel appreciated. You fold back the tissue paper to reveal your presents!

I reviewed a July box. August's will be different. It was packaged beautifully, see the silk rose petals sprinkled across the contents? The theme was Independence - it contained items from small businesses (which I LOVE!).

The gift was a beautiful chiffon sarong, handcrafted in India. It is very beautiful and will be a great swimsuit cover up. I didn't think it fit well with the theme, because of the July, Independence, red white and blue card, I thought it should be made in America. BUT if that is the only nitpicky thing I can come up with, we are winning.
There were 5 tea bags from Bigelow tea, and there was a little note that Ruth Bigelow was the one who started the company in 1945, and they own America's ONLY tea plantation in Charleston, SC, and it is still 100% family owned and operated today! I pulled that info straight from the info card, I love that they give you a little background and history in your box! I did not know any of those things.

The sweet treat was Toot Sweet Caramels, which are made locally in California. They were salted honey caramels, made with organic and simple ingredients, which I appreciated. There were 4 in the box. I had one, shared the other 3 with my husband and stepkids. We thought they tasted a little burnt, but having made candy before myself I know how easily that can happen.

The pampering items were really great! There was a lavender bath bomb by Spa Girl Soaps on Etsy that was WONDERFUL (just used it last night) and it was so relaxing. I even got into the tub with a migraine and the aromatherapy cured it before I went to bed. There was silky body powder by Bonny Bubbles, which is very nice in the summer but the scent was sort of old person ish according to my husband. I loved the By the Sea lotion by the Fleury Girls. The scent was light, the lotion was thick but not too thick and seemed to perfectly coat my hands. Loved that. And Natalie immediately lifted the 100% cotton face scrubby, which was a crocheted yarn circle that was to be used to remove makeup or exfoliate your face. She gives it one thumb up. The other thumb was still busy scrubbing her face.

 I was really impressed by this box. Here's the price breakdown.

Sarong                                             $16
Caramels                                          $2
Bigelow Tea                                      $1
Bath Bomb                                       $1.50
Body Powder                                    $1
Body Lotion                                      $1.50
Face Scrubby                                  $1
Tampons/Pads (Name Brand)          ~$8
____________________________________
                                                        $32.00
Bonjour Jolie Box Price: $16 + $5 shipping = $21

Yes, that's right - all this and you get more than you pay for. But the convenience of having it all discreetly delivered to your house, the pleasantness of being pampered, the resulting positive attitude and feeling of being appreciated, and the excitement of getting something special and new just for you, is priceless. Most of the time, just having to buy 3 different boxes of feminine hygiene products to get what you need will run you almost $15 a month anyway, and you have to drive to the Walgreens to get it. So basically, spend the $6-7 extra, get the presents, and let someone else take care of YOU for a change.

Bonjour Jolie, you absolutely, positively win my vote.

Ashley Bedford


*DISCLAIMER* I did receive free product in exchange for my honest review. All opinions, however, are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment